At Home Safety

10 Ways to keep kids safe from burns and scalds

Children frequently suffer from burns. Sunburn, hot liquids, fire, electrical contact, chemicals, hot water, and other hot substances can all result in them.

They all have the potential to leave the skin permanently scarred and damaged. Continue reading to find out what to do if your child gets burned and how you may help prevent these wounds.

  • A newborn and hot beverages like soup, coffee, or tea should not be carried together. Also, avoid cradling or holding your child close to hot surfaces like the stove or tabletops. A tiny splash could burn your newborn.
  • Safeguard your child from scalds caused by tap water. To avoid scald burns, set your water heater so that the temperature at the tap is no hotter than 120 degrees Fahrenheit (48.9 degrees Celsius).
  • Ensure that small children cannot access the microwave. Moreover, to ensure that the meal is heated evenly in the microwave, stir it thoroughly or let it stand for two minutes.
  • Never leave preparing food alone on the stove. Install fire extinguishers in the kitchen and other high-fire risk areas of the house, such as the furnace room and close to the fireplace.
  • Screens should be installed above fireplaces, woodstoves, and kerosene heaters to prevent your child from accessing them. When touched, gas fireplaces with glass doors can result in serious burns because of how hot they can get and how hot they can stay after the fireplace has been switched off. See how hot things become when the heat is on by checking electric baseboard heaters, radiators, and even hot-air furnace vents. They could also need to be screened.
  • Avoid lighting candles in places where children could readily access them. Keep candles, matches, and cigarette lighters out of your child’s reach. Also, stay away from smoking inside, and never let anyone smoke close to your child.
  • Fire safety at home is a must. Install smoke detectors, with at least one on each story of the home, in hallways outside bedrooms, the kitchen, living room, and other common areas. Do fire drills with your family. Instruct your kids that if their clothes catches fire, they should halt, drop, and roll on the ground. For more details,
  • Lock up flammable liquids in the home. It is best to store them outside the home, out of children’s reach, and away from heat or ignition sources.
  • Avoid using fireworks, even those meant for consumer use. The tip of a sparkler can burn at up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit!
  • Avoid overexposing your child’s skin to the sun. While UV rays are greatest, between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm, try to restrict your time in the sun. Use sunblock and protective clothing.